Friday 11 April 2014

Is it Well?

Well. The word that holds reason and conclusion together. The word that is cool, murky water below the ground. A hole in the ground. Like the holes in our souls.

Yet we know that those must be well, too.

We know it when we see them…the hurts and the lacks. We know what is wrong with this world…but who has the way to make it well?

There is a quote that travels through my mind these days. It falls like a lullaby…”all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

I feel there are people who see wellness as a matter of theory. What works for you, what works for me – always something different.

Perhaps others feel there is no way there at all. Too hard. Too far.

And then there is the line that says, I was told by Jesus all was well…So all must be well.”

All must be well.

Perhaps it is no coincidence that the words of wellness I notice, are the ones that give us little room to disagree.

Could we be left no choice? Has the way already been set, and does it say Well? Is it something outside of ourselves? Something we can’t scrape up on our own?

We are not the fatalists, only living to throw up our hands in resignation.

But instead, surely, we must be the humble - who believe. Believe that there is confidence so sure, that the worst circumstances will not shake. Or if they shake the walls, the foundation is certainly safe.

And do we believe that when we say, “It is well with my soul,” that it is? No matter what we feel like, no matter what valley we walk.

For His love, and His covering, His assurance, is too deep to let us go.

Deeper than the reason for a conclusion. Deeper than the ice-cold water pulled up by the bucket. Deeper a fountain, than our cups will ever be able to hold.

So it is Him. And He will make all things well.

 
~Liv

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Olivia! My name is Rayne Speryll, and I'm the partner that Bluebelle assigned to you for the Flash Fiction Event she's hosting. :D
    Here is your prompt:

    "And that was the moment you knew... you finally understood that I had orchestrated it all; down to the last detail."

    Nice post, by the way. "It is Well With My Soul" is one of my favorite hymns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set the word limit? Sorry, I didn't catch that bit.

      Word Limit: 1000

      Delete