Friday 27 December 2013

A Homemade Christmas Part 2

Even before I picked a name from the hat, I'd decided I wouldn't go for shock value this year.

Actually, while discussing the whole hand made Christmas concept, Owen and I had already mocked the inevitable turn out.

"I mean, if you pick a name," he said, a little sarcastic, "I can't imagine what you're going to give them..."

Yeah, yeah.

So my only challenge was to make the quilt a little cooler than average.

It was just the icing on the cake when I ended up picking his name.

Punk.

I decided to go the 'Eye Spy' route; a novelty print quilt that tends toward the busy looking end of things. I decided to feature particular things that Owen is partial too, including his hobbies and food, and got to work finding fabric!

I tried to tame things down by using larger blocks of fabric and I selected fewer fabrics framing the prints, so a clearer colour theme could come through.



The internet is not as almighty as you might think when it comes to novelty fabric, but I did score some Grinch and bacon fabric! (And yes, yes, beer stuff too.)



For some blocks, I appliqued logos - and on a bear print, I embroidered a bulls eye. Poor thing - it didn't see it coming.


I also incorporated some selvage ends from the fabric, that had cute and relevant words.


As a finishing touch...my first ever quilt label.


 All fancy there with fabric marker.


Wrap it up, add some pecan pralines with a bow - and you have a home made Christmas.

And I have to say, I'm looking forward to next year!

xo ~Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment